Bill Nye Saves the World

Chloe Oani, Staff Writer

On April 21, William Sanford Nye, better known as Bill Nye the Science Guy, will make his long-awaited return to popular media with his upcoming show “Bill Nye Saves the World.” Although most individuals remember Nye as the man of 90s and early 2000s science classroom televisions, “Bill Nye Saves the World” will be globally released on Netflix, a digital media outlet, fittingly just in time for Earth Day.

Similar to in his previous shows “Bill Nye the Science Guy” and “The Eyes of Nye,” Nye will host the series and conduct experiments from his own scientific laboratory. However, this time, Nye will be joined by a cast of five special correspondents: fashion model and entrepreneur Karlie Kloss, comedians Joanna Hausmann and Nazeem Hussain, fellow science communicators “Xploration Station” host Emily Calandrelli and Derek Muller, the frontman of the Youtube channel “Veritasium.” Additionally, special guests expected to appear in the 13 episode-lengthed first season include Star Trek actor Wil Wheaton, “Scrubs” actors Donald Faison and Zach Braff, celebrity chef Alton Brown and musician Steve Aoki. The first season of the Netflix series promises to tackle issues such as global warming, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), technology and alternative medicine while debunking myths and anti-scientific claims.

Nye began as an aerospace engineer at the Boeing Company after receiving a Bachelor of Science degree (B.S.) in mechanical engineering from Cornell University. Nye’s professional entertainment career developed as he co-wrote and starred on the Seattle sketch comedy “Almost Live!” His main recurring role as Speedwalker, a fast walking superhero, makes it obvious that the title of the curator of curiosity’s new show is fitting: “Bill Nye Saves the World.” With his eclectic personality and ability to easily explain complex concepts, Bill Nye will undoubtedly attract former and new fans alike.

Put on your white lab coats and colourful bow ties. Bill is back.