PALs Put on Annual Prom Fashion Show

Sana Hameed, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Peer Assistance and Leadership (PALs) held their annual Prom Fashion Show in the foyer on March 3 during both lunches to advertise for the prom closet at West as well as a few local dress and suit vendors.

“Everyone knows that prom is super important to a student’s final year in high school,” senior Kate Grant said. “The prom closet makes it possible for every student to have a suit or dress even if they couldn’t afford one usually.”

Each PAL selected their own ensemble from a variety of options. While the girls sifted through the items in the prom closet and at David’s Bridal, the boys were measured and fitted for tuxedos by a representative from Men’s Warehouse.

“We had a lot of fun trying on dresses,” Grant said. “It was kind of difficult though because we actually had to match the dresses to the suits, but it all worked out in the end.”

While Grant chose a black and white dress from David’s Bridal, senior Sarah Garber selected a deep violet gown which flowed down to her ankles from the prom closet. Senior Daniela Stilber also found her two-piece dress at David’s Bridal.

“It had a champagne top with beading and a flowy layered white skirt covered in lace with a white trim,” Stilber said. “I picked the dress because it had really nice colors and once I saw it on the mannequin I couldn’t wait to try it on.”

The marketing and preparation for the fashion show stressed the variety of colorful and affordable options available to students. After picking their outfits, PALs members began trying to raise awareness regarding the event. By encouraging as many West students as possible to support these businesses, PALs endeavored to enable both David’s Bridal and Men’s Warehouse to provide free rentals for students otherwise unable to bear the cost.

“We made flyers to promote the show,” Garber said. “We also prepared what we would say to describe the outfits.”

On the day of the fashion show, PALs members fed off the energy of the crowd and laughed alongside their peers.

“It was really fun,” Grant said. “It proved to me that no matter how silly you may feel doing something, it can impact other people in surprising ways.”