Homecoming Mums: The Texas Tradition

Haley Derdiger, Associate Editor

Living in the Lone Star State, homecoming is a huge time for high school students. Everyone knows it is not just the football games and dance, but the homecoming mums, as they have broken through to the Texas culture. 

The homecoming “mum” originated from chrysanthemums, after it became the unofficial flower of high school homecoming events. It started as a sweet token of affection given to a girl by her date in honor of the event. In the olden days, a boy would take a real flower bloom and add a few ribbons. It typically would cost around three dollars. 

As time progressed, mums evolved in the later half of the 20th century. When the popularity increased, so did the size of the mum. By the 80’s and 90’s, these mums became very incredibly elaborate and decorative, as real chrysanthemum blooms were replaced with artificial flowers. Additionally, instead of pinning the blooms to clothing, it became too large and was changed to be worn around the neck.

Today, high school students all over Texas are getting involved with the homecoming festivities. Mums are now designed to match school colors, offering a white style to the senior class. They are filled with sparkly ribbons and all kinds of trinkets to emphasize the spirit of the event. Mums are typically worn the day before the school dance and at the homecoming football game.