Future Professionals Changing the World One Patient at a Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clinicals students practicing procedures.

Juliette Uncovsky, Staff Writer

The sky is still dark when the alarms go off at 5:30 a.m. Only a few cars roam the streets as students in Clinical Rotations put on their grey scrubs and white sneakers. They leave the quiet of their homes at 6:15 and head to the nursing home. Clinical Rotations is a challenging and selective program that allows high school students to gain insight in the medical field through training and hands-on experience in real medical environments.

The junior high schools offered health classes that were mainly focused on medical terminology.

“In my principles of health science class last year, some clinical students came to talk to us about the program,” junior Haseeb Qureshi said. “It motivated me because I thought if they could do it, I could do it too.”

There are around 80 students in clinical rotations. After nine weeks of training, the students are finally put to the test. They are currently working at the Brookhaven Nursing Home in Carrollton. Some of the jobs the students have are bringing breakfast to residents, waking them up, helping them shower and get dressed, brushing their teeth, and cleaning their rooms and checking blood pressure. This usually takes around 20-30 minutes. “What I love most about this program is the experience,” senior Jacob Alfonso Custodio said. “I am able to work in a professional, medical environment.

Working in a nursing home with elderly people every morning, can be a difficult task and a big change from what the students are used to. The stress builds up from learning to be a medical professional. “It is definitely a new experience, and it is hard to adjust to what we go through and hear about with our patients,” junior Rojon Sangani said. “You have to build emotional stability.”

The students are put into three different groups and work with each other every day at the nursing home. They each complete different tasks in order to be successful.

“I love the other people in the program,” Sangani said. “Everyone is so accepting of each other, and that really helps in the working environment.

This program is the way for students to really get into the medical field. With the experience they receive throughout the year, they will be one step closer to achieving their goal.

“The mental and physical challenges maintain my path to work in the medical field and prepare me for the future by exposing me early to the work that I will experience,” Custodio, who hopes to be a combat medic or plastic surgeon said. “These things will greatly help me in the future as it gives me an edge above the other medical students.”

The day ends at 9 a.m. for these future medical students. But this experience has only just begun. “I look forward to going to different sites,” Qureshi said. “Next semester we get to rotate to different sites and experience new events such as surgeries.”

Working at the nursing home has helped students learn to respect the job of everyone in the medical field and understand how their work has an important impact no matter what it is. “Everyone in the medical field should be appreciated,” Custodio said. “To me they work harder, more diligently, and with more passion. I truly see the bond they have created with their patients and it’s truly a unique sight.”

This program is one of the only times students will be able to interact with patients until residency, which is during medical school. This program gives students experiences that will pave the way for their future in the medical field. It is a tough program that comes with challenges to overcome but the results will help these students form a successful future.

“You can’t just go from nothing to being a doctor,” Sangani said. “You have to build up many skills, and clinical rotations gives me the best experience in order to become a doctor in the future, because I get to learn it all at a young age.”

About the Writer
Juliette Uncovsky, Associate Editor

Juliette Uncovsky is a senior and is the Associate Editor of the BluePrints Newspaper.  In the future, she plans on pursuing environmental sciences and...