Students Tackle the Medical Field Head On in HOSA

Malvika Mahendhra, Staff Writer

On an average school day, it is likely that one student will be wearing a blue shirt adorned with a medical pun. However, these shirts are more than a comical joke, but a symbol representing the members of Health Occupations of Students of America (HOSA) who want to spend their lives saving others.

“HOSA is a really awesome environment,” officer Claire Nagel said. “Everybody who joins is dedicated to making the world a better place.”

The events in HOSA cater towards helping the local community along with activities that spark students’ interests.

“We are trying to make the club more community driven,” Nagel said. “Over Halloween, we did a goodie drive to send to the Children’s Medical Hospital.

Medical professionals are often guest speakers at meetings that allow students to explore different paths in the medical field.

“We have a lot of guest speakers, so students have the opportunity to ask a lot of questions,” Nagel said. “HOSA allows you to dip your toes in the medical world.”

HOSA provides an environment for students to meet people with similar future goals and evolves into a space where they can freely speak about their enthusiasm on medicine.

“It allows me to get in touch with my passion for medicine,” junior Yasmin Saber said. “I can bond with new people who have similar interests as me.”

The club extends beyond monthly meetings. HOSA has the unique opportunity of allowing students to participate in a competition hosting numerous medical events.

“There are events like biomedical debate and nurse assisting,” Nagel said. “Some of the events are super hands-on like EMT. Everyone can find an event that fits in the way they succeed.”

The competition events vary. While some events are singular, a portion of the events are participated by a group. Most of the events require a form of testing, but some events only require a project that impacts the community.

“My group project is called “Hands for Hope” and our goal is to change the stigma surrounding depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts,” junior Pranay Dhondi said. “We want to provide outlets in the community to help those suffering with these battles.”

The diverse range of competition events allows students to find what they feel passionate about and topics in society regarding health they want to change.

“I feel that depression and suicide is still such a prevalent problem,” Dhondi said. “I joined HOSA to develop a project made by teenagers like me to help other teenagers.”

Area competition begins in February, and individuals and groups who make top three in their event will have the opportunity to compete at state and later nationals which takes place in Dallas this year. This semester and early second semester, students participating in HOSA competition will spend hours on their project.

“My group will be using social media and doing other activities such as putting up flyers in our project,” Saber said. “I am really excited for what this year my group has in store because we get to interact with people and hear their stories.”

Regardless of whether a member decides to compete, the club aims to create a welcoming, prosperous environment that hopes to expand the horizons for members.

“In HOSA, everyone is ready to achieve and find their path,” Nagel said. “The club is a great experience to know yourself a little better.”