Blood Drive, Saving Lives

Sriya Reddy, Associate Editor

The annual Carter BloodCare Blood Drive, hosted by the National Honors Society (NHS), is taking place in the gymnasium on Tuesday, April 11 to benefit patients who have illnesses that require a transplant or have suffered from tremendous blood loss.

“Donating blood is a whole new experience and the benefits of donating are countless,” senior Daniya Sheikh said. “It could be the reason someone’s life is saved. Additionally, it allows for the iron production in your body to stabilize and reduces the risk of heart and liver ailments or illnesses.”

To donate blood, an individual must weigh over 110 pounds (lbs), be at least 17 years old and have a permission form signed by a parent. Although not everyone fits the requirements, those who do, including family and friends, are highly encouraged to donate by the NHS community.

“The blood drive is an awesome chance for our community to come together and give back,” senior Claire Gilmore said. “According to the American Red Cross, every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood. It’s not every day someone can say they came to school and, by donating blood, helped save a life.”

To prepare for the blood drive, a participant must make sure to drink water throughout the day, avoid caffeine and eat well-balanced meals. Last year about 135 people donated, but this year, the organizers are hoping for more participants. The current goal is 180 units of blood, but they aspire towards 200 units.

“I am excited to see how many members from NHS at West come together for a good cause,” Sheikh said.

Gilmore and Sheikh are the current president and vice president of community service respectively for NHS. The two are working with the other NHS officers to make the blood drive possible.

“NHS helps organize and put on the event,” Gilmore said. “After years of planning and executing blood drives, the event is down to a science.”

The blood donation procedure requires the participant to sit down and relax as the phlebotomist takes the blood. It takes approximately 10 minutes to collect a pint of blood.

“Donating blood is fairly simple,” senior Ankith Reddy said. “As long as you don’t move, it’ll go by fairly quickly.”

Reddy donated blood last year and is looking forward to the same event this year.

“I am donating blood because in this world, there’s always going to be a patient in desperate need of blood,” Reddy said. “So with this opportunity, why not save a life?”