Today in History

Fatima Bhaiwala, Senior Editor

1549  – The first capital of Brazil, The City of Salvador da Bahia was founded. It was established by the Portuguese and is one of the oldest colonial cities in South America. Salvador embodies Reconcavo, with its maritime industry and rich agriculture still continues to be a major port in Brazil.

1795 – Ludwig van Beethoven has his public debut performance as pianist of Vienna. He played the B-flat major Piano Concerto piece as a soloist at Vienna’s Burgtheater.

1848 – Niagara Falls stopped flowing for 30 hours due to a weather-related occurrence. A south-west gale blowing off to Lake Erie caused an ice jam, which severely restricted the flow of the Niagara River, causing the water over the Falls to be reduced down to a trickle.

1901 – The first federal election for the parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia was held. Edmund Barton won and was the first Prime Minister and served in office Jan. 1, 1901 to Sept. 24, 1903. He was the leader of the Protectionist Party.

1951 –  During the 23rd Academy Awards, “All About Eve” which had been nominated for 14 Oscars, beating the previous record of 13 by the movie “ Gone with the Wind,” Judy Holliday and Jose Ferrer won.

1961 – After four and a half years of trial where 156 people including Nelson Mandela were accused of treason in South Africa, all defendants were found not guilty.

1974 – Chinese farmers discovered the Terracotta Army near Xi’an. Eight thousand life size clay warrior statues and horses were found buried to guard the tomb of China’s 1st emperor Qin Shi Huang. These warriors were buried to guard the emperor in the afterlife.