2018 Winter Olympics

Dana Sung, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Hold on, winter isn’t over just yet.

 

The 2018 Winter Olympics is happening in Pyeongchang, South Korea. As their second time hosting the Olympics, after the 1988 summer, South Korea will join the list of countries that have hosted both the Winter and Summer Olympics.

 

Important Dates

The competition for the games start on Feb. 8 but the Opening Ceremony isn’t till the February 9th (8 P.M. local time, 5 A.M. CST). 102 events in 15 disciplines will be featured in the span of approximately 2 weeks. The closing ceremony is on Feb. 25.

 

Mascot

This year’s mascot is the a white tiger named, “Soohorang”. The tiger is “closely associated with Korean mythology and culture” and is a “familiar figure in Korean folk tales as a symbol of trust, strength and protection,” according to the Games website. “Sooho” in Korean means “protection”, and “guardian”. “Rang” is the middle letter of the word “tiger” in Korean.

 

Sports Events

There are 15 disciplines of sports this 2018 Winter Olympics. From traditional Winter sports game like bobsleigh, figure skating, and ski jumping, to new games that were added this year: snowboard big air (men’s and women’s), speed skating mass start (men’s and women’s), curling mixed doubles and the Alpine team event.

 

Finances

The Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics’ preparation budget was around 3.6 billion dollars. Most of the amount was paid through taxpayer dollars of the host city but 267 million dollars still fell short for the organizers.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) retains 10 percent of the game as its broadcast agreements and global sponsorship while the other 90 percent of the game is distributed amongst supporting of the Olympics Game to promote worldwide participation.

 

Russia Controversy

International Olympic Committee (IOC) has banned Russia from competing in the 2018 Winter Olympics due to the allegations of state-sponsored cover-up on doping and usage of enhancement drugs for their athletes during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia. Russian Athletes may still compete under the country-neutral flag, “under strict conditions,” according to the IOC.

 

North Korea Controversy

Pyeongchang is only 60 miles away from the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) of South and North Korea. The question of safety has been coming up since before the bidding of the Olympics in London in 2012. Working with the circumstances, South Korea has expanded their military defense deploying approximately 5,000 armed forces to the game.

On Dec. 7, Sarah Huckabee commented on Twitter that “the U.S. looks forward to participating in the Winter Olympics in South Korea. The protection of Americans is our top priority and we are engaged with the South Koreans and other partner nations to secure the venues.”

 

Approximately 10 North Korean athletes will attend the Olympics. This raised hopes of South Korean government to work out the US vs NK tension. Baek Tae-hyun, spokesperson for the Ministry of Unification states that, “the government hopes that this visit of the North Korean high-level delegation will be an important opportunity for the successful hosting of the PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games as the Peace Olympics, restoring inter-Korean relations and establishing peace on the Korean peninsula.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About the Writer
Dana Sung, Staff Writer

Dana Sung is a senior who is excited to work with the Plano West Blue Prints this year. She has a diverse background in her high school courses. In freshmen...

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




*

2018 Winter Olympics