NHS color Run Coming in March

Juliette Uncovsky, Staff Writer

Students are thrilled about the upcoming race hosted by the Plano senior high schools. National Honor Society (NHS) is hosting the 5K color run, as a fundraiser to benefit the Plano Independent School District (PISD) Education Foundation of Classroom Resources for Education (CORE) store. The CORE store’s mission is to help a student to successfully learn by equipping teachers with needed supplies through donations. The race will occur on March 3, at Plano Senior High School and commence at 10 a.m.

“Our big goal for this year is to get a profit back from the race in order to benefit the fundraiser,” NHS service vice president Steven Ding said. What we do will affect a lot of people.”

The race is hosted by all three Plano senior high schools: Plano West, Senior and East. Each school is responsible for the preparations of the race. Plano Senior is preparing goodie bags for the runners, East is recruiting volunteers for the race and West is making the colorful powder that will be thrown at runners during the race. NHS is based on four principles: scholarship, leadership, character and service. With 1,000 members, West has the largest NHS group in the PISD.

“Our president had a vision last year of all three senior high schools at one event,” NHS sponsor Kristi Robinson said. “Now it’s finally happening and it’s great to watch this organization come together for one big event.”

Last year, NHS hosted a smaller race called the Read and Run, hosted to benefit the Plano West library. However this year, they are hoping for a bigger turn out with about 200 people or more.

“The best part of NHS is being able to be with your friends while volunteering and contributing to the community,” junior Jeffrey Xu said. “I am running with a couple of friends, and I think that participating in an event like the color run surrounded with classmates will be exciting.”

Forms to sign up for the race are available on the NHS website. Shirts are also available to purchase at $15 for students and staff and $20 for adults. Additionally, a liability form is required to turn in before the race. All forms and payments can be turned in to Ms. Robinsons classroom by Feb. 14.

“As humans in our society today are very two-dimensional, we have our routines and that is what we stick to,” Ding said. “What we are trying to make NHS kids understand is how to become a more functional member of society that will leave a lasting legacy on yourself and the community.”

About the Writer
Juliette Uncovsky, Associate Editor

Juliette Uncovsky is a senior and is the Associate Editor of the BluePrints Newspaper.  In the future, she plans on pursuing environmental sciences and...