New Year, Same Me

Leah Martineau, Senior Editor

Every new year, people plan to better themselves in the upcoming year by making resolutions. These resolutions can either be a goal to achieve by the end of the year, a challenge to attempt every day, or a new habit to pick up that they did not have before this year. New Year’s resolutions have the potential to have a meaningful impact on someone’s life. However, with the common stigma associated with resolutions and the way humans function, most people do not have a chance to accomplish anything. This makes these annual resolutions pointless and makes people more likely to fail than to succeed.

The most common resolution is to lose weight and eat healthier. This causes gyms to have a surge in the beginning months of the year, and a huge drop of memberships throughout the year. Gyms lose around 80 percent of their new members in the first five months of the year, but they can survive off of this boom and bust because it happens every year and they have adapted. Making a broad resolution for a year is not the way things get done, and although gyms say they want to help their new members, they do not actually need people to stay.

A common problem is that people deal with procrastination and the human desire of getting instant gratification. When a person thinks about making a change in their life, they get the small sense of satisfaction from the thought of the resolution. A resolution costs nothing, requires no effort, but has a sense of hope that is attractive to people. This does not influence them to continue working to achieve their resolution. They continue to procrastinate on their goal, which results in an exponential downfall. To avoid this, completing even a small task to reach the resolution will encourage someone to keep getting things done.

Personal resolutions should be achieved in smaller amounts. Meaning, instead of wanting to lose 100 pounds in a year, try to lose weight in increments of months or a variable of weeks. This allows a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction sooner rather than a year from the original thought. A vague goal means there will be a vague outcome. Goals should have numbers or other measurements that make them real. Once you complete a certain step, it will give more motivation to continue pursuing the resolution.

The idea that everyone should plan to better themselves during the new year is a good idea. The way people carry out their resolutions is the problem. Beginnings are always a chance for people to start over and have time to fix what is bothering them. That is why people should view every day like a beginning and you should work to achieve a different goal each day. Gym memberships, procrastination and failure are some of the things keeping themselves away from a better them.

About the Writer
Leah Martineau, Editor

Leah Martineau is a senior and an editor for the 2016-2017 Plano West BluePrints newspaper. Besides being on the newspaper, Martineau is a student Athletic...