The Case in Favor of Ice Cream Over Popsicles

Noah Karesh, Staff Writer

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream. Ice cream is a cold and sweet treat that comes in different shapes, sizes and flavors. Whether enjoying it with friends or while binge watching Netflix, it has become one of the most popular and delicious desserts in the world.

Beginning in 5th BC, the ancient Greeks developed the first form of ice cream by eating snow mixed with honey and fruit. Soon after, it spread to China, Rome and India as they mixed frozen water and fruit to make some of the first sorbets. As the popularity of the new creation spread throughout Europe, colonists destined for North America brought their recipes to the new world. As it developed and became more desirable, ice cream shops were opened on the streets of the newly developed colonies in New York and Pennsylvania. Today, there are over 100 different ice cream brands and shops throughout the world, including Haagen-Dazs, Baskin-Robbins and Ben & Jerry’s.

Most desserts only come in a single form. With ice cream, however, customers are able to choose the specific kind of ice cream they want from many choices. There are different types such as hard, soft-serve, rolled, sorbet and many more. With over 1,000 flavors from chocolate to butter pecan, as well as fruity flavors, consumers are also provided with a wide variety of choices when deciding which to eat. Even though it tastes amazing on its own, ice cream is also used to make other desserts like cakes, malts and shakes.

One of the best parts of eating ice cream is the different ways you can eat it. For example, waffle, sugar and cake cones are some of the various types of cones used. In addition to cones, it can also be eaten easily out of a cup or bowl. Unlike popsicles which must be eaten on a stick, ice cream presents multiple choices for deciding what to eat it out of. Toppings also add another element that helps to make eating ice cream even better than any other dessert. Toppings include sprinkles, cut up fruit slices, and miniature pieces of candies such as Snickers or Sour Patch Kids.

Beginning in the 1950’s with McDonald’s, fast food restaurants began to offer their own signature ice cream creations such as McFlurrys, Frostys, and Sonic Blasts. As of today, most popular fast food chains have developed their own dessert menu, with a variety of ice cream desserts included. These come in different flavors, as well as loaded to the top with whipped cream and a variety of toppings.  Unlike fancier desserts, ice cream is a smart addition to restaurants who are looking to increase profits off their dessert menu.

Although its main ingredients are fat, milk, sugar, and egg, ice cream also provides numerous health benefits such as calcium which strengthens bones, and potassium that helps lowers blood pressure. In recent years, healthier types of ice cream have been created as well such as gluten-free, fat-free and even lactose-free. The nutritional benefits of ice cream make eating it an enjoyable and stress-free experience.

Ice cream sets itself apart from other desserts with its unique characteristics that not many other desserts have to offer. Whether eating soft-serve out of a waffle cone or rolled strawberry in a cup, there is always an ice cream for everyone to enjoy.