The Case in Favor of Popsicles Over Ice Cream

Cami Peck, Staff Writer

Imagine, it is a bright summer day and the sun feels just hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement. What could possibly be better than a nice, cold popsicle to cool you down? The answer is: nothing. Popsicles are the superior cold summer treat.

The greatest thing about popsicles is that they come in various fruity flavors. Whether it be grape, strawberry or orange, there is a perfect flavor out there for everyone. Some popsicles, such as the rocket pop, may even come with multiple flavors. Those are ideal for when you cannot decide on the one single flavor you would like.

Popsicles are typically made up of only two ingredients: water and fruit juice. Their small ingredient list also means that they are pretty low in calories. On average, popsicles have about 40 calories and contain 7g of sugar a piece, almost half that of ice cream. Because they are so low in sugar content, one can eat more than a single popsicle without the threat of an intense sugar crash. Although they are not necessarily healthy, they are definitely better for you than the majority of other cold sweet treats.

Even if you do not want to leave your house and go buy some popsicles, you can simply make your own. As long as you’ve got some fruit juice, a freezer and water, then you can make your very own DIY popsicles at home. Homemade popsicles are incredibly easy to make and also give you the advantage of choosing the exact flavors you would like to enjoy.

Some may argue that ice cream should be ranked higher than popsicles when it comes to the best cold dessert. However, many would strongly disagree. Not only is ice cream super messy when it melts, but it is also relatively high in sugar and can contribute to health issues such as weight gain, cavities and an increase in unhealthy levels of certain kinds of fats.

When it comes to choosing between an ice cream cone or a popsicle, one should always choose to eat a popsicle. Ultimately, popsicles are both the healthier and more delicious choice, thus proving that they are, in fact, the superior cold summer treat.