Netflix Moves Out Front of Media Industry Competitors

Kyle Dixon, Senior Editor

Just over a decade ago, Netflix was no more than a DVD delivery service. Although it was successful in that venture, it was nowhere near the billion-dollar company it is today. Netflix continues to grow and expand its reach through its original content and easy to access video streaming, and the company does not appear to be slowing down. While a business like this may be daunting to someone who has, until now, only known the limited reach of their cable package, Netflix’s continued expansion is a very good thing for the world, especially in today’s internet-centric society.

Before Netflix blossomed into one of the most popular streaming platforms available, one’s only sensible option for television access was cable, and the companies that sold it knew this all too well. Currently, the average cable provider costs at least $50 a month, with some even costing as much as more than double that. Netflix, however, only charges $7.99 a month for the use of its services. Although Netflix may be much cheaper than the average cable TV package, many continue to utilize the latter simply because of the fact that Netflix is very limited in the content it provides, including sports and news channels. However, with cable, these amenities often cost extra, and Netflix’s growing success also provides a cheaper alternative.

Although Netflix was not the first streaming service, it has arguably become the most successful. This has resulted in a recent rise in other similarly priced streaming services. Cable companies feel that they can charge massive amounts because these streaming services can only provide so much. One cannot watch the Super Bowl or the nightly news on Netflix, so cable companies can charge more for these exact benefits. However, the immense success of Netflix has opened the door for other cheap streaming services to thrive. Hulu, for example, gave its users the chance to watch the Super Bowl on their website, as well as access to standard television channels such as CBS and NBC. While these accommodations do cost extra, it is still much cheaper than the average cable package. Netflix’s success has allowed other businesses to provide similar services as cable companies for a fraction of the price and much easier accessibility.

Netflix is much more than a cheap price tag though. Its massive amount of original content stands out as one of the main reasons why the company has become as successful as it has in recent years. The company has produced hundreds of movies and television shows and continues to do so. Because of this, Netflix’s success has given success to writers, actors, directors and creators who may not have otherwise found it with a major Hollywood studio. Furthermore, these creators’ involvement with Netflix has gained them more opportunities within the film industry in general. This is because Netflix allows its filmmakers almost complete creative freedom to create the project that they want to make. This has allowed these individuals’ true visions to be recognized by both important figures in the film industry as well as the rest of the world.

While Netflix’s transition from a small DVD provider to a multi-million-dollar corporation may be daunting, its growing success and consistent expansion has multiple benefits. These include providing an affordable alternative to cable television as well as granting recognition to smaller filmmakers and creators who might not have otherwise found success. Netflix has also opening the doors for similar companies and streaming services, and its success gives hope to smaller businesses being able to succeed in an increasingly internet-centric world.