Importance of Planning

Talia Dave, Staff Writer

All across the country, multiple Planned Parenthood’s have been shut down and defunded due to pro-life activists in the government and extremists- but this should not be happening and here is why:

Planned Parenthood clinics provide advice, contraceptives and family planning to low income families and women in need. It provides security and plans to help people who have less education than others and accessible health care, sometimes free depending on a family’s income. They not only provide reduced rates of contraceptives, but also help improve equality and independence among women and men all over the world. Their mission statement reads, “Our Mission. To empower individuals to make independent, informed decisions about their sexual and reproductive lives, we provide information and health care, and promote public policies that make those services available to all. Planning is power.” Established over a hundred years ago, these clinics now face shut-downs and defunding due to extremists and anti-abortion politicians.

One of the most frequently asked questions is “Why is Planned Parenthood so important?” The answer is because it provides reliable healthcare and options for people who have no other provider, in parts of the world where Planned Parenthood exists, more than 20% do not have any other access to healthcare. Shutting these clinics down would face people with absolutely no healthcare or informative knowledge to start a family, according to IStandWithPlannedParenthood.org, more than 2.4 million people would lose access to healthcare if they were shut down.

The biggest deal to most people in respect to Planned Parenthood is the issue of abortions. Many pro-life activists believe that an abortion is the original sin and that those who do it are killing a living child. People are fully allowed to have their opinion and religious beliefs, but it should be known that Planned Parenthood’s abortion services only make up three percent of what they do. Planned Parenthood allows women to have contraception at very affordable prices to prevent unexpected and unwanted pregnancies, shutting them down would increase the risk of teenage pregnancies. Many teenage moms never graduate from high school, and every 3 in 10 American girls will get pregnant at least once before the age of 20.

There are about 650 Planned Parenthood clinics in the U.S. as of right now, but that number will soon be decreasing as activists fight more and extremists become more radical. These clinics are very important to women’s healthcare all over the globe and keeping them will help millions of families who face low income, poverty and unaccessible healthcare. Planned Parenthood stands for power and the nation should recognize that.