Girls Varsity Soccer Wins 1-0 vs Denton Guyer

The+team+pays+tribute+to+three+fellow+student+athletes+involved+in+a+recent+car+crash.+
The team pays tribute to three fellow student athletes involved in a recent car crash.

Emily Sample

Emily Sample

Chloe Oani, Staff Writer

Behind a late-game goal from junior forward Tessa Elizondo, the girls varsity soccer team defeated Denton Guyer with a score 1-0 in a home conference game on Feb. 15 at Clark Stadium.

“Everybody had a hand in that win,” Balogh said. “It was such a battle and I’m so proud of them for their efforts. They didn’t quit.”

Despite multiple efforts and extended periods of possession from both teams, the Lady Wolves and Lady Wildcats concluded the first half with a score 0-0.

“Going into halftime, we had a positive pep talk,” senior captain and goalkeeper Mariel Gordon said. “We were just getting hyped to come out and get a goal that we knew we could get.”

With only six minutes until the end of the game, West earned a left corner kick. The initial cross from junior midfielder Kate Luby was cleared outside the box, but she immediately sent in a another ball straight in front of Denton Guyer’s goal.

“The ball got crossed in by Kate and I flicked it in,” Elizondo said. “We barely had any time left in the game and knowing we had to win, I was willing to try my hardest to score.”

Denton Guyer was unable to put a score on the board because of West’s cohesive defensive backline, led by Gordon.

“The shutout is a collective effort from the defense,” Gordon said. “It feels good as a defense to come out with a positive ending to the game.”

Due to a prior club commitment, the team’s other goalkeeper, junior Averi Isaacs was unable to share playing time with Gordon. However, Gordon’s previous years of experience playing both halves allowed for a seamless adjustment.

“I’ve played the whole game up until this year,” Gordon said, “so the change was fine.”

The match last Wednesday concluded the first half of District play.

“Every game we play in District is pretty much a State Final caliber game,” Balogh said. “It’s just that good.”

The result against Denton Guyer, 1-0 in favor of West, helps the team tie for second place with Allen High School in the standings.

“It’s always a little more pressure when you’re at the top near the beginning because you have a target on your back,” Gordon said. “So we’re just going to try and keep winning games and get to playoffs.”

Although the win versus Denton Guyer occupied the minds of West’s players, their hearts were with fellow student athletes Samantha Sacks and Lily Davis, who recently passed away in a car accident, and Kendall Murray, who is currently in medical care.

“A lot of our players were highly affected by the accident,” Elizondo said. “We are praying for Kendall and keeping Sam and Lily in our hearts.”

The team wore white hair ribbons, representing the virtue of joy, and white tape around their cleats with the initials “SS, LD and KM,” to honor the three girls.

“It is really cool to come together as a team and be able to offer support,” Gordon said. “It was good to know that we were playing for them.”

The girls varsity team’s next home match is Teacher Appreciation Night versus the Wylie High School Pirates on Feb. 24, 7:30 p.m., at Clark Stadium.