Dancin’ With Drill

Maddy Courtright, Staff Writer

Bright lights. Smiling faces. Cheering crowds. The Royales begin their routine supported by the student section cheering.

“The best part of being on the team is knowing that each girl on the team is someone you can rely on and find a friend in,” senior lieutenant Gabby Tocci said. “Plano West is a really big school, so the more people you know, the more comfortable you feel.”

In such a large school, having a solid group of friends creates a stronger sense of community. The team spends so much time together that they get to know everything about each other.

“Relationships develop throughout the year and by the spring show we all consider Royales a second family,” senior social officer Molly Depner said.

There are several Royale events held outside of school so the team can get to know each other. The team also has sisters which helps to make the team feel closer knit. These sisters exchange gifts and support one another throughout the year.

“We have a big sis little sis program to help blend the junior and senior classes,” senior and captain Lexi Anderson said. “We have a big sis little sis gift exchange before every game in order to have team-bonding time and get spirits up for the game.”

The closer the teammates, the better the team performs as a whole. Each team member is a part of the whole, so everyone has to nail it.

“Usually we spend an entire practice on one dance, cleaning and polishing it until it looks good,” Depner said. “Then we run the dance multiple times so that the cleaning sticks in our memory.”

The Royales work diligently to perfect and master their routines, making sure to get everything just right in their performances.

“It’s always fun to see all the football players and other athletic teams sit directly in front of us when we perform at pep rallies,” Tocci said. “It pushes you to dance that much better.”

Performing in pep rallies is a real team spirit booster. It really pushes the team to do their best and really give the routine their all.

“Pep rallies are kind of nerve racking but equally as fun,” Anderson said. “It’s a little intimidating with the crowd being so close, but when they smile at us and cheer it pushes us to do our best.”

Having the school’s support means a lot to the team. The Wolfpack’s cheering encourages the Royales to work their hardest and make their coaches proud.

“I always look forward to game days,” Tocci said. “Walking out on the field under the lights and hearing the crowd the cheering is a feeling like no other. It’s also a great feeling when we finish a routine strong and you can see Hills and Conklin cheering all the way from the press box.”