Fantasy Football Unites Fans From Across the Country

Bryce Jones, Senior Editor

Although the National Football League (NFL) has been the spotlight of major political controversy this season there is still one thing about the NFL that unites us all: fantasy football. The 17 week season is now halfway complete however, the competition is far from it.

“I started out 0-3,” senior Bernardo Burboa said. “But now I’m 3-3 and a win this week could give me the outright number two seed in my division.”

Key players such as Odell Beckham, David Johnson, Derek Carr and many more have already gotten injured this season, throwing everyone’s roster out of sorts.

“I had Aaron Rodgers,” senior Gage Gray said. “Luckily, I have another backup quarterback that can hold his weight on my roster, but Rodger’s injury cost me a win in week six.”

While seeing players go down with injuries is one of the worst parts of this game, watching sleeper picks succeed has to be among the best.

“I drafted Alex Smith in a late round as a safety third quarterback,” Burboa said. “But now that he is the second highest scorer in the league, he is my starting quarterback.”

Not everybody drafted a great sleeper pick back in August, but the hope for trading for a sleeper is still alive.

“I did not expect Will Fuller to have an impact on my team when I originally traded for him,” Gray said. “But Fuller has outscored his projection in every week since then.”

Trades will be very important as the season comes down the home stretch, and trying to strengthen up your weak links will be crucial come playoff time.

“My tight end is my weakest position,” Burboa said. “So far I have been picking tight ends up off the waivers each week depending on their matchup. I really need to find some stability there before playoffs hit.”

Stability can be one of the most difficult aspects of fantasy football because it is impossible to guess whether or not the projections are going to be accurate week to week.

“A lot of players will score 25 points one week and six the next,” senior Trent Brezovsky said. “That is why players like Todd Gurley and Kareem Hunt are so valuable. You just know they are going to score a good amount each week.”

Although everyone is still balancing the stress and excitement that come with the fantasy football season, it is time to buckle down and get to work before the playoffs.

“If the Cowboys lose, but my fantasy team wins it eases the pain a little,” Brezovsky said.