West Hockey Team Skates Into State Championship

Avery Klatsky, Staff Writer

The Plano West hockey team is making strong strides this season, and they ended their regular season by becoming State champions. The Wolves defeated the Frisco Ice Hockey Association 2-1 to be crowned as the champs.

“Winning State was amazing,” defenseman Collin Bridges said. “We beat Frisco, the defending state and national champions. Watching them lose was like watching the underdog win.”

Plano West took down Frisco in the Dr. Pepper Stars Center in Frisco, Texas, on Feb. 4.

“Plano West hockey ended up being one of the top teams in the area,” Bridges said. “We were able to qualify for the State tournament.”

Although the team won the State championship, it’s not all about the winning. Making memories is a part of it.

“The best part about being on the team is playing hockey with my best friends and representing Plano West,” centerman Christian Spearman said.

Along with Spearman, other players can attest to what it means to put on a Plano West jersey.

“The best part of being on the team is being able to play hockey with your friends,” left winger Yuju Takahashi said. “It’s the best feeling to win a championship with them.”

The team also pushes each other to be better and work harder.

“Just to be a part of such a good team that bonds so well together makes you want to be the best you can be,” Bridges said.

The team rarely practiced to prepare for games, despite their momentous success.

“We didn’t prepare for the season too much,” Bridges said. “We had practices once a week, but most people on our team play on club or teams that occupy most of their time during the week.”

In the aftermath of the season, the Wolves varsity squad will go to the National competition to look to win the title.

“We finished 3rd in the regular season this year,” Takahashi said.” We won State championships, so we’ll be going on to Nationals in late March.”

Come Nationals, it is no secret that Plano West will be the team to watch. Although there are more games to play, they can still reminisce over a good regular season, especially since they topped it off with a State championship.

“It was an amazing feeling,” Takahashi said. “It felt like dream.”