Despite Offensive Success, Plano West defeated by Flower Mound 45-21

Avery Klatsky and Noah Karesh

In the aftermath of a two-hour lightning delay, Plano West lost their first road game of the season to the Flower Mound Jaguars 45-21.

The Jaguars were led by quarterback Blake Short, who threw for 254 yards and two touchdowns. Running backs Pierce Hudgens and Connor Brown had 143 total yards and 37 yards, respectively. Both Hudgens and Brown took it to the house twice. On the receiving end, Reid Touchstone reeled in 65 yards and a touchdown, Jake Welch had 59 yards, and Carson Winters had a 27-yard touchdown in the third quarter.

The Wolves bounced back on the offensive side of the ball from their first game against Frisco Reedy. Quarterback Danny Davis had 270 passing yards with two touchdowns and added a 14-yard rushing touchdown on the Wolves opening drive. Junior wide receiver Cole Carter caught both of Davis’ touchdown passes and finished with 135 yards on seven receptions. In addition to Carter, Tavarius Garland has 55 yards, Nick Griffin had 34, and Leon Green ended the game with 20. Running back Noah Scroggins also rushed for 75 yards.

By the end of the game, there were 847 total yards recorded (422 for Plano West, 425 for Flower Mound) and 43 first downs (20 for Plano West, 23 for Flower Mound). Here is a breakdown of each teams’ stats from the game:

Plano West

• Total yards: 422 (275 passing, 147 rushing)
  • Completions-Attempts: 19-37
  • Average yards per pass: 14.5
  • Penalties (yards allowed from penalties): 7 (56 yards)
  • Turnovers: 6 (4 fumbles, 2 interceptions)
  • 2018 Season Record: 0-2

Flower Mound

• Total Yards: 425 (254 passing, 171 rushing)
  • Completions-Attempts: 15-31
  • Average yards per pass: 16.9
  • Penalties (yards allowed from penalties): 4 (41 yards)
  • Turnovers:  1 interception
  • 2018 Season Record: 1-1

Both teams remained relatively neutral in terms of offensive play, however Plano West’s six turnovers strained their offensive output.

Flower Mound will travel to Prosper on Friday for their first away game of 2018, while Plano West will host Mesquite in search of their first win of the season.

About the Writers
Avery Klatsky, Senior Editor

Avery Klatsky is a Senior Editor for the BluePrints, where he focuses on sports and Op-Eds for the paper. He has also been published in the Washington...

Noah Karesh, Staff Writer

Noah Karesh is a senior staff writer for the BluePrints. He is also involved in National Honor Society (NHS), DECA, Jewish Student Union (JSU) and Young...