In the Midst of Weather Delays, West Unable to Keep Up With Mesquite

Avery Klatsky and Noah Karesh

Plano West dropped their third game of the season last Friday to Mesquite High School, losing 44-20. Plano West has now moved to 0-3 on the season, as they have moved past their last non-division game of the 2018 season.

West running back Noah Scroggins ran for 125 yards and two touchdowns. Scroggins was accompanied by Danny Davis, who ran for 27, Will Cannon, who ran for 18, and Leon Green, who ran for 15. Davis additionally threw for 108 yards. Nick Griffin led the Wolves in receiving with 46 yards. Tavarius Garland had 39, and aforementioned Green had 11. Defensive back Daylen Minor also scored on a 47-yard fumble recovery early in the third quarter.

West struggled with turnovers yet again, as they lost one fumble and threw one interception. Penalties also held them back offensively, as they had nine of them for a total of 70 yards.

Mesquite, on the other hand, was able to secure their first win of the 2018 campaign and moved to 1-1 on the year. Led by QB Dylan McGill, RB Ladarius Turner, and WR Devin Davis, they were able to surpass Plano West’s defense. In addition to Davis, wide receivers Ja’Darion Smith, Kavin Roberts, and Rey Cardoso were able to score touchdowns for the Skeeters.

Five of Mesquite’s six touchdowns on Friday came from passing, as the other came off of a punt block that was returned for a touchdown.

Here are notable stats from each team:

Mesquite:

• QB Dylan McGill: 203 passing yards, 76 rushing yards, 5 touchdown passes
  • RB Ladarius Turner: 78 rushing yards
  • WR Devin Davis: 141 receiving yards, 2 touchdowns
  • Total Yards: 447 (224 passing, 223 rushing)
  • Rushing Attempts/Yards per rush: 43/5.2
  • Passing Completions-Attempts: 8-12

Plano West:

• QB Danny Davis: 108 passing yards, 1 interception
  • RB Noah Scroggins: 128 rushing yards, 2 touchdowns
  • WR Nick Griffin: 46 receiving yards      
  • Total Yards: 279 (108 passing, 171 rushing)
  • Rushing Attempts/Yards per rush: 47/3.6
  • Passing Completions-Attempts: 6-17

Quarterback Danny Davis left the game late in the fourth quarter with an apparent leg injury and is questionable for Plano West’s game this upcoming Friday. If he doesn’t play, he will be replaced by Will Cannon or Greg Draughn.

Mesquite will play against Hurst L.D. Bell on Thursday, while Plano West will host Dallas Jesuit on Friday, marking the Wolves’ first district game of the season.

About the Writers
Avery Klatsky, Senior Editor

Avery Klatsky is a Senior Editor for the BluePrints, where he focuses on sports and Op-Eds for the paper. He has also been published in the Washington...

Noah Karesh, Staff Writer

Noah Karesh is a senior staff writer for the BluePrints. He is also involved in National Honor Society (NHS), DECA, Jewish Student Union (JSU) and Young...