West linebacker Jared Brumfield (#23) huddles with the team before a game.

Annelise Stone

Annelise Stone

A Full Breakdown of District 9-6A Through the Mid-Season Mark

October 5, 2018

With the 2018 Texas High School Football regular season officially halfway done, let’s take a look at the status of all of the teams in District 9-6A.

Allen Eagles

It’s nearly impossible to talk about high school football in the state of Texas without mentioning Allen. Allen, which sits at an undefeated 5-0 record, is ranked second in the state (behind North Shore in Houston) and 13th in the nation according to MaxPreps. So far this season, the Eagles have surpassed Horn (Mesquite), East (Salt Lake City, Utah), Coppell, Plano, and McKinney. The Eagles have put up an astonishing 216 points in the past five contests, while only giving up 48.

Quarterback and Ole Miss commit Grant Tisdale leads the team in passing with 843 yards and 13 touchdowns. Tisdale also has 315 rushing yards and one rushing touchdown. Wideout Theo Wease has reeled in 348 passing yards and seven touchdowns. Wease will attend the University of Oklahoma next season. WR Bryson Green has added 167 yards and five touchdowns of his own. On the ground, Celdon Manning has rushed for 371 yards and three touchdowns and Raylen Sharpe has tallied 242 yards and five touchdowns.

Allen, led by head coach Terry Gambill, will play their next game against Plano East a week from today at Eagle Stadium. Aside from Allen, East is the only other undefeated team in the District.

Plano East Panthers

Like Allen, Plano East has surged to a 5-0 record on the season. Ranked at 19th in the state, they have handed losses to Bell, Lake Highlands, Sachse, Boyd, and Prosper. Plano East has allowed a mere 56 points to their opponents, yet they have been able to rack up 175 their five games.

The Panthers are led by QB Brandon Mallory, who has thrown for a whopping 1,498 yards and 15 touchdowns. Mallory has also recorded 35 yards of rushing and one touchdown on the ground. East really shines with its wide receiving core, where three players have recorded at least 300+ yards. Braylon Henderson leads the team with 438 and is followed by Jaelen Anderson with 434 and Josh Allison with 340. Henderson, Anderson, and Allison all have four receiving touchdowns so far in the season. Fourth in line is Joseph Carter, who has 176 receiving yards and three touchdowns of his own. In terms of rushing, junior Trey Scott-Jones leads the team by a significant margin with 498 rushing yards and eight touchdowns. East defensive back Tyler Owens, who is ranked as a four-star according to 247sports, has committed to the University of Texas.

In all, East has been an offensive firepower this season. Their next game is against Allen, where only one undefeated team will remain when it is all said and done.

Prosper Eagles

As one of two newcomers to the district this season, Prosper has been a breakout team to watch for the rest of the season.

In their first year in 6A, the team has picked up right where they left off in 5A. After starting the season with a huge win against Garland Naaman Forest 48-14 in week one, the Eagle’s success continued in their next three games with wins against Timber Creek, Flower Mound, and McKinney. Their first loss came at the hands of Plano East last Friday, where the Panthers ran away with a 26-14 win. Led by quarterback Keegan Shoemaker who has 934 passing yards and 10 touchdowns, running back Wayne Anderson who has rushed for 615 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Jostein Clarke with 368 receiving yards and six touchdowns, the Eagles look to be a talented team who have the tools to make a deep run in the playoffs. Prosper is the only team in the district with a winning record but at least one loss on the year.

Prosper’s next matchup is against Jesuit, where they will look to continue their success from earlier weeks in the season.

Jesuit Rangers

Along with Prosper, Jesuit is the other addition to the 9-6A district this season and the only private school in the district.

So far, Jesuit is 2-3 overall and 1-1 against District opponents. After opening the season with a 55-25 loss to Arlington, the Rangers were unable to bounce back the following week, losing to DeSoto 20-10. In weeks three and four, however, the Rangers hit their stride, winning 35-14 over Wylie and shutting out Plano West 42-0. Last week, the Rangers lost to McKinney Boyd in a 35-28 nailbiter. Running back E.J. Smith, son of legendary Cowboys’ running back Emmitt Smith, has been the impact factor for Jesuit this season. As of now, he has rushed for 373 yards, racked up 238 receiving yards, and taken it to the house eight times.

The Rangers have shown flashes of success so far this year, but they will need to improve defensively if they want to make a deep run in the playoffs. Their next game is against Prosper, where they’ll look to raise their win percentage to .500 on the year.

Plano Wildcats

Plano Senior has stumbled out of the gate this season, coming into week six with a 2-3 record. They were able to defeat Eastwood (El Paso) and Plano West in weeks two and five, respectively. They were dealt losses, however, by Hebron, Rowlett, and Allen.

Plano has switched between a few quarterbacks this season, primarily relying on Cole Winnett and Oliver Towns. Winnett, a senior, has totaled 500 yards and two passing touchdowns. Towns, a sophomore, has put up 238 yards and two touchdowns as well. Senior’s success doesn’t tend to come from the passing game, as there are no players with more than two passing touchdowns and they have only found the end zone four times through the air. Their running game, however, is where they shine. Their ground game is led by University of Illinois commit Kyron Cumby, who has notched 445 yards and eight touchdowns on the year. He’s followed by junior Cody Crist, who has 214 yards and three touchdowns, and sophomore Tylan Hines, who has 202 yards and four touchdowns.

If Plano wants to put more games in the win column, maximizing their success with their run game is certainly the best way to do it. Plano’s next game at John Clark Stadium, where they will match up against a winless team in the McKinney Lions.

McKinney Boyd Broncos

McKinney Boyd has had a fairly rough start to the season, winning their only game last Friday against Jesuit 35-28. Their point differential, however, is -64, as they have been defeated by Rowlett, Flower Mound Marcus, Lewisville, and Plano East. Interestingly enough, Boyd has yet to win at home, as their win against Jesuit was an away game.

The Broncos’ offense is led in part by two quarterbacks, Christian Ziegler and Collin Drake. Ziegler, a senior, has tallied more yards than his counterpart, recording 441 passing yards and 267 rushing yards. Additionally, he has thrown one touchdown and rushed for five. Drake, a sophomore, has thrown for 286 yards and three touchdowns while rushing for 127 yards and one touchdown. Running back Ja Tyler Shaw leads the Broncos in rushing with 289 yards on the ground and four touchdowns. He’s accompanied by sophomore back Jaden Nixon, who has 212 yards and one score on the season. Boyd has relied heavily on their rushing game, as they’ve only scored four passing touchdowns so far this year. WR Kareem Coleman leads the team in receiving with 362 yards and three touchdowns.

Boyd’s next contest will be at home against Plano West, where they’ll look to secure their second win in a row.

McKinney Lions

McKinney has not played fairly well up to this point. The Lions have not been able to get a win so far this year, with double-digit losses to Pearce (Richardson), Prosper, and Allen.

The main problem for the team has been their struggle to contain their opponents’ offenses. They have allowed 179 points and have not been able to create their own offensive power to compete with their opponents. Lions’ running back Cordrick Dunn has done his best to help keep the Lions to stay competitive on the ground with 676 yards and five touchdowns. However, Lions quarterback Kelvin Thomas’ performance so far has been extremely underwhelming, recording a mere 412 yards and two touchdowns while throwing three interceptions.

The team takes on Plano Senior this week and will be looking to capture their first win against a team who will be coming off a 28-14 win over rival Plano West last week.

Plano West Wolves

Like McKinney, Plano West has yet to put a game under the win column so far in the 2018 campaign, as they have suffered defeats at the hands of Frisco Reedy, Flower Mound, Mesquite, Jesuit, and Plano. With an unfortunate point differential of -136, they’ve struggled to keep their opponents out of the end zone.

Quarterback Danny Davis has done a majority of the heavy lifting offensively for the Wolves, throwing for 714 yards and three touchdowns on the season. Davis additionally has 147 yards and two touchdowns from rushing. RB Noah Scroggins leads West in rushing with 321 yards and two touchdowns. Sophomore Jacob Stephens also has 36 yards and one rushing touchdown. In terms of receiving, Cole Carter is the most targeted and most successful wideout so far for Plano West, having scored three touchdowns and hauling in 259 yards of passing. Carter is the only receiver who has taken it to the house, however, as Davis, Scroggins, Stephens, and aforementioned Carter are the only players to score for West this year. Senior WR Leon Green comes in second behind Carter with 192 yards, and Tavarius Garland has 118.

Plano West will play against McKinney Boyd next Friday in search of their first win of the season.