Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Varsity Basketball’s recent win streak showing potential for promising postseason

Back to Article
Back to Article

Huda Areah

Huda Areah

Huda Areah

The Plano West Varsity basketball squad is riding a three-game win streak and will look to continue their recent success tonight against the McKinney Lions.

After being blown out by the Allen Eagles on Jan. 11 by a score of 71-42, the varsity basketball team has won their past three games in a row, reassuring any doubts about their ability to compete with tough regional opponents. “We have done a good job doing the little thing,” senior Ryan Zambie said. “We have been making free throws, limiting turnovers and have done a great job rebounding.”

The first of the three wins was the most surprising—a 63-59 upset victory against state powerhouse Dallas Jesuit. Senior guard Daylen Minor led the Wolves with 19 points, two assists and one rebound. Sophomore Alec Zambie and senior Shemar Pearl followed with 11 points each. Alec also dished out a team-leading three assists in the contest and hauled in eight rebounds, tying for most boards with junior Grant Pressly.

The Rangers struggled with foul trouble, giving up 20 points from the charity stripe. Minor was responsible for 11 of the 20 points, Pearl and Ryan Zambie both had three, Alec Zambie had two, and Tyler Poindexter made one.

The second game featured a showdown between Plano West and Plano Senior, where the Wolves bested the Wildcats 50-43 on the road.

After only scoring seven points in the game against Jesuit, senior Ryan Zambie returned to his natural form and dropped 20 on Plano. He also added two rebounds. His brother, Alec, had 10 rebounds in the game as well as 10 points to push West past their city rivals. Despite going three of 14 from the floor, Daylen Minor was able to finish with seven points, three rebounds, and five assists on the night. Shemar Pearl, who played very well against Jesuit, had three rebounds, three blocks, and made a free throw.

The third game was a showing of pure monstrous dominance by the Wolves, who destroyed the McKinney Boyd Broncos by 40 points, defeating them 85-45. Minor exploded for 23 points, five rebounds, and three assists to power West to their biggest margin victory of the season. Alec Zambie and Grant Pressly had 12 points each, Ryan Zambie had 10, and Tyler Poindexter had eight. Alec tied Minor for most rebounds on the Wolves’ roster with five, and added two assists.

Ryan Zambie discussed what the Wolves must do to keep being successful as they finish off district play. “To continue to win, our focus has to be on defense and rebounding,” Zambie said. “I am confident we will find ways to score the ball, but we really have to limit our opponents offensive opportunities. When we do that, we are capable of beating anyone.”

About the Writers
Avery Klatsky, Senior Editor

Avery Klatsky is a Senior Editor for the BluePrints, where he focuses on sports and Op-Eds for the paper. He has also been published in the Washington...

Noah Karesh, Staff Writer

Noah Karesh is a senior staff writer for the BluePrints. He is also involved in National Honor Society (NHS), DECA, Jewish Student Union (JSU) and Young...