What Baking Can Do: After School Fall Treats

Gina Quatrino, Production Editor

Looking for some easy after-school snacks? These recipes can be made with ingredients you already have around the house. In five steps or less, you can make a great study group snack, or just a little something to treat yourself. Regardless of why you need them, you will want to keep these snacks in your recipe book.

“Puppy Chow”

“Puppy Chow” is an easy snack that will appease everyone’s sweet tooth. This recipe is good to serve at a study group, after practice or simply to ration throughout the week.

Ingredients:

9 cups of Chex Cereal

¼ cup of butter/margarine

½ cup of peanut butter (optional)

1 cup of chocolate chips (if no peanut butter, add an additional ½ cup)

1 ½ cups of powdered sugar

How To:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, mix the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter together. Microwave them in 30 second intervals until the mixture is smooth.
  2. Add the Chex Cereal to the mixture, one cup at a time, stirring carefully until each cereal piece is coated evenly.
  3. Transfer the coated cereal to a 2-gallon resealable bag and add the powdered sugar.
  4. Shake the bag, insuring that each cereal piece is covered with the powdered sugar.
  5. Pour the cereal into a serving bowl and enjoy. To amp up the flavor, try adding a cup of M&M candy or pretzels.

Serves: 18 people

Yogurt Bark

Yogurt Bark is a perfect snack for those who want to enjoy a nice treat but still stay true to their diet. It can easily be made for a quick breakfast in the morning, or eaten as an after-school snack.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups of Greek yogurt (flavored or plain)

3 tbsp of maple syrup

½ cup of granola (flavored or plain)

½ cup of blueberries*

4 sliced strawberries*

*fruit can be substituted to fit allergy needs

How To:

1. Line a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt and maple syrup, stirring until evenly mixed together. Then pour onto the lined baking sheet and spread evenly into a thin layer.
  3. Sprinkle your granola and fruit pieces all over the yogurt layer, allowing an even amount of each topping.
  4. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight, until the layer has hardened.
  5. Take the aluminum foil off, cut into square pieces and share with friends. Be sure to return the bark to the refrigerator when not being served.

Chocolate Covered Treats

Chocolate covered snacks do not have to be limited to just holidays. They can be made year round with these easy steps.

Ingredients:

1 bag of chocolate candy melts (12 oz.)

10 strawberries, oreos, chopped banana or any treat one desires.

How To:

1. Prepare your treats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Pour the chocolate candy melts into a medium saucepan. Then, place the pan on the stove and turn it on to the low heat setting.
  3. Allow chocolate to melt, mixing gradually to make sure it does not burn to the bottom of the pan. Once the chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat.
  4. Carefully pour the chocolate over the desired treats, coating them completely. Or, dip each treat halfway, creating a fondu type activity that works for a group of people.*
  5. Let the chocolate harden, then enjoy. Refrigerate the leftover treats so they do not melt.

*Chocolate will harden fast; you may need to reheat it on the stove to create the dipping effect.