Spring Break 2018

Ava O'Reilly, Staff Writer

Spring break is almost here which means the time to decide where to spend the week is ticking down. Whether staying close to home, venturing out into the states, or traveling even further with a passport, there are so many options to choose from. Here are some of the top contenders to choose from to make this spring break the best.

Close to Home: For those who want to leave but do not want to go outside of Texas, San Antonio, Austin and South Padre Island are top travel spots. San Antonio and Austin are both less than five hours away with tons of places to see. With the riverwalk, Seaworld, several historical sites like the Alamo, Natural Bridge Caverns and Six Flags Fiesta Texas, there will always be something to do while in town. Austin is home to several artistic locations including Graffiti Park and the HOPE outdoor gallery, along with other activities like spending the day at the Barton Springs Pool or Hamilton Pool Preserve, touring the Texas State Capitol, kayaking and paddleboarding at Zilker Metropolitan Park, ATXcursions for tubing, and shopping at South Congress Avenue. About nine hours from home is a highly reviewed spring break beach spot for Texas residents, South Padre Island. Every year the city brings in thousands of people, specifically college students, to enjoy all of the delicious seafood, live entertainment and get their tan on. This year, Clayton Beach Bar is hosting a party on the beach all week with music by Post Malone, Gucci Mane, Future and UME performances. Of course, do not forget about all of the lakes close to home such as Lake Lewisville, Lake Ray Roberts and Lake Texoma which lies right on the border between Texas and Oklahoma.

In the States: Anyone hoping to travel outside of Texas should check out Gulf Shores, Alabama for Gulf State Park, Prairie Island Miniature Golf, an indoor arcade called Arena the Next level, OWA Amusement Park and a very family friendly environment. Going further East is Daytona Beach, Florida which always brings in tons of people to enjoy local restaurants, 23 miles of white-sand beach, surfing and is even close to DisneyWorld and Universal Studios. While in Florida, there will always be something to do. Slightly closer to home lies New Orleans, Louisiana where visitors can enjoy Bourbon street, the French Quarter, ghost tours and river cruises. Anyone not looking for warm temperatures should give a look towards Breckenridge, Colorado. Enjoying hot chocolate then being able to start skiing down the slopes early in the morning and seeing the National Historic District later that night could definitely be a fun getaway from the heat. Los Angeles, California is another top contender due to the abundance of activities including the Walk of Fame, Universal Studios Hollywood, the Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica Bay and Venice Beach.

Grab your Passport: People hoping to leave the United States for a fabulous getaway should consider Jamaica and Mexico. Both are not too far from home with so much to do. One of the least expensive spring break spots in Mexico is Playa del Carmen which has one main beach called “The Beach” and various street cafes and entertainment while exploring local shops. For some exploration check out the Xcaret Eco Theme Park, the Rio Secreto caverns or try swimming with dolphins at Delphinus Xcaret. In Ochos Rios Jamaica lies the Blue Hole, a sparkling waterfall which is a sight to see. The Negril Cliffs are definitely another place to visit for a scenic drive, perfect sunset views and cliff jumping surrounded by local street vendors.Take in the sun at Seven Mile Beach and enjoy the crystal clear water, but do not forget to use sunscreen.

Things to Remember: Make sure to book a hotel or a place to stay in advance and keep all important personal belongings close by or locked up where ever you will be residing. Travel safe by staying with at least one friend at every sight you see for the entire trip. Always apply sunscreen if visiting a tropical destination and make sure to check the weather prior so you pack all of the right clothing. Be sure to have lots of fun and take a lot of pictures to remember your fabulous spring break. Break starts on Monday, March 12 so travel accordingly. Stay safe and have a wonderful trip.

About the Writer
Ava O'Reilly, Staff Writer

Senior Ava O’Reilly is a staff member for the Plano West Blueprints. She is a member of  National Honors Society, Quill and Scroll and involved in choir....