Original Singer-Songwriter Continues Family Legacy

Gina Quatrino, Production Editor

It is the early 2000’s, and famous rock band, Foreigner, is performing for the night. The music is loud, the lights are flashing but all eyes are on the two year old little girl who danced her way to the main stage of the rock show. Fast forward 16 years and that dancing queen grew into the one and only, senior Megan Jacobs. Raised in a musical family, Megan was surrounded by love, art and politics her entire life. This helped her discover her passion for singing, writing, acting and everything in between.

“Music has always been a part of me,” Megan said. “They said that I could sing before I could talk. It’s always been my favorite thing.”

Megan’s journey in the arts began at a very young age. She remembers writing her first songs as a preschooler by messing around with her father’s guitar and singing whatever came to her head.

“When I was four I pretended to play this little guitar my dad had,” Megan said. “I wrote a song called ‘My Daddy’s Soup,’ which was about my dad’s spaghetti sauce.”

The song would later make its way to becoming a recorded track on her father Jeff Jacobs’ album, “All Blue to Me.” Jeff began his music career in high school by forming a band with his friends. A few gigs later, Jeff found himself in New York City, auditioning to play for Billy Joel. He then met up with Foreigner and went on tour as their long term keyboardist.

“Mick Jones, the leader of Foreigner, was the producer of Billy Joel’s ‘Storm Front’ album,” Jeff said. “That was the first album I recorded with Joel, so that’s how I met Mick. And it just so happened that when Foreigner re-formed and began to tour, he asked me to join them.”

Following her Dad on tour is how Megan became that famous little girl dancing in the spotlight. Growing up in that environment, she learned to love the art of performing and started looking for inspirations in the entertainment industry. She found that John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, RuPaul Charles and Michelle Visage fit her vibe, but her true mentors were with her all along.

“My role models are definitely my family,” Megan said. “My mom is the strongest woman I know, and my dad is my music and life inspiration. I think that coming from creative people helped me feel like I had a good support system and people who loved what I was doing.”

Having that strong encouragement from her family allowed Megan to embrace her passions and continue singing and writing music.

“I went through a really big breakup, so I wrote a lot of  breakup songs,” Megan said. “When I was in love, I wrote a lot of love songs. I write when I feel creative, and singing those words is very therapeutic for me.”

When Megan joined choir in middle school, she was taught how to read sheet music, which opened her eyes to the bigger picture of the impact that music has on the world.

“I always knew I was a singer, but in 6th grade when I learned how to read music, a whole new world was opened up to me that I didn’t even know about,” Megan said. “Music is a universal language. If you want to write something, you can send music to anyone and they can read it. It connects us.”

Being in choir was also an easy introduction to musical theatre. Megan played the leading lady in Plano West’s winter musical, Into The Woods, but she mentioned how theatre taught her to have faith in herself above everything else.

“Theatre has helped me put myself out there and taught me how to deal with rejection,” Megan said. “It helped me build my own support system and have acceptance within myself.”

Alongside her love for performing, off stage Megan is a strong advocate for equality and a self-proclaimed teen environmentalist, who is focused on decreasing the amount of damage humans do to the planet. To help contribute to a better future, she has decided to become ‘waste free,’ which is a lifestyle that challenges you to cut back on plastics and non-recyclable goods. Megan also started her vegan journey over the summer, which cuts meat and animal products from her diet completely.

“It’s nice to feel aligned with my personal beliefs,” Megan said. “I don’t think that people should be treated differently. And I know that nobody thinks animal cruelty is great, but by still eating them, it’s contributing to that. If you’re passionate about something, you have the power to make a difference.”

Megan’s family commented on her strong beliefs and how they differentiate her from the rest of the crowd.

“Megan has always had a certain spark about her that seems to jump out and get her noticed,” Jeff said. “I’m biased in this opinion, but I think others have noticed it as well.”

When it comes to her music, it is clear that her passions speak volumes. Megan’s little sister, Emily Jacobs, added to this idea, explaining the growth she has seen in her sister’s work.

“I like how she doesn’t let anyone tell her what to do and how confident she is with her own lifestyle,” Emily said. “Her personality has become more open and easy going over the years, and it shows in her music.”

With such big dreams and aspirations, Megan is used to hearing all the potential dangers of pursuing a career in the arts. However, these things have never deterred her from her ultimate goal of becoming a musician.

“Everyone listens to music, but when you say you want to be a musician, people no longer understand,” Megan said. “There are always going to be the people who ask you, ‘but how are you going to make a career out of that,’ and it makes sense, but I feel like I’m prepared because I’ve lived through it. I’ve seen the way it works through my dad, and I’m very grateful for that experience.”

Regardless of the hardships she may face, Megan continues to follow her heart in everything that she does.
“John Lennon taught me that love is the most important thing,” Megan said. “My dream is to make a positive impact on the world and society, and to just be successful in what I love to do.”

About the Writer
Gina Quatrino, Production Editor

Gina Quatrino is a senior and the Production Editor for the Plano West BluePrints. Aside from her passion for writing and journalism, Quatrino also has...